Train of Thoughts

Sunday, June 22, 2003

[I do not wish to offend anyone with this particular entry. Especially with the terms like, Chinese, Malays and Indians. You've been advised. Read at your own risk.]

Well my hair is oily and smells like smoke, I’m sneezing and I was hiccupping.. oh yeah and I’m tired.

The gig started off a bit late, to be precise, it was exactly one and a half hour’s late. They were doing sound check and everything. Oh well, the organizer is a rookie in it and frankly, I don’t think you can blame people for being a perfectionist right? I got a lil frustrated at that but then I bore with it anyway.

There were too many bands playing and I actually lost count of it actually. I bumped into friends and people and started talking. Well mostly there are Malays as the majority and the Chinese as the minority. The Indians? They are in the middle lah. I guess the main reason for the attendance of more Indians for such gig is because of Poseidon and My Pet Alien. Both bands are from Penang and the majority of the members are Indians. Anyways the crowd I would say, turned out to be quite supportive. But of course there are less, erm almost non-existence of moshing but I can tell that the crowd really enjoyed the performances.

I would say that there are a few bands that managed to catch my attention. First of all, it has got to be My Pet Alien. They are the longest surviving band in Penang. Now, they have a Chinese fella playing the piccolo saxophone as well as the C# (I think) saxophone and boy he is good! Imagine that you have to cover the sound of a lead guitar, a rhythm guitar, a bass, a keyboard and the throbbing drums. How’s that? Very strong and every powerful indeed.

The gig was a comeback for the band and my friend just happened to play as a keyboardist for the band. Heh I haven’t seen him in ages! The last time I saw him was when I was in form 4.. now that’s AGES! I got to catch up with him and I think he’s a bit drunk after finishing half the can of Carl’s. LOLZ. Funny. Oh and I got their EP too, gonna let my friend pass it to me the next time I see him. But seriously, it is a great come back from the band.

The other band is Soft Touch, all the way from KL. The lady vocalist aka keyboardist rules man! She got dreadlocks and a cool one too! :D Man talk about dreadlocks, there are SO many people with dreads! Whoah! *envy envy* That aside, just too bad that her voice isn’t clear enough but I can assure you that she’s more like Tori Amos and Bjork kinda of style oh and she speaks quite fast too! Hehe. The drummer is Paul, erm he’s the guy who runs this studio or smth back in KL I think and damn although he is erm quite old, around the age of err 40 to say the least? Well, he sure plays a damn good drum. He has got skills man!! Thumbs up for this man! The guitarist was awesome, SOLO!!!!!! Phew, and that pouty upper lip! Oh my.. *drools* I would highly recommend this band to anyone. Nice Touch! :D

This rookie band from Penang appearing the first time on stage called Donut managed to get my adrenaline flowing. Although they are new and all that but hey! They’ve got good mixing arrangements. They did a cover of RHSP, err title? I forgot but it was quite hot in the charts back in 2001/2002. I know, I know it’s you.. dadadadadadadadaaaa.. until I say I do… Oh well, if only you could figure it out. :P

Moving on, Tempered Mental is smoooooooootthhhh. Melina has it man! She did a lil solo thing and everyone was so damn impressed by her skills! She is the spotlight of the band I can assure you that. She sings quite well, erm just that it’s not clear enough through the mike and all that. So I hear you want to know a lil bit more about this babe? Heh, she has got dimples except that she doesn’t smile that much. She has this serious look on her face and whoa, great complexion man. She is a babe! ;)

Of all the things that I forgot to bring along, it has got to be their EP. I should have brought along their EP and let them sign. I’m sure Khoo is going to remember me since he thought that I am organizing gigs and all that and I am the first Penangite to get their EP! I think.. hehe. So you can hear me saying “Tempered Mental Rules!!” and the bastard clapping and woohooing all the way. :D

Oh this band with two female vocalists sucks. Heheheheh! They picked Sixpense None The Richer’s Kiss Me, Shakira's Underneath Your Clothes and Avril Lavigne’s Sk8er Boi to play as their cover. *shakes head in great disagreement* Bad, Bad choice babes. But then again, one of the vocalist sounded quite okay when she sang Kiss Me. Heh I guess most of the guys didn’t notice it because they were busy checking her out! LOLZ.

The gig ended around 7 smth but then i had to pick up my mom so I left when the erm, some fellaAzmyl was doing an acoustic session. This guy is good too. He did the cover of Harmonica and he sounded great! It’s more like an acoustic jam session.

Heh well, the 15 bucks is all worth it.

I had a tiring day and me stuck in the house not celebrating bday with my friends in ss.

Hell, I don’t wish to do more damage to my ears. Too much for one day lah. Oh, I’m not happening anyway.

Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Millions of peaches. Peaches for free.