Train of Thoughts

Saturday, August 13, 2005



Disagree In Retrospect.

Ah, now I finally have the time to blog about the Disagree gig. Been busy with exams, post exams celebration/outings, not to mention that I've been sick since Tuesday due to the bad weather and it's getting nowhere. Sigh. That aside, here's my lil review that I've promised. :P

Just as I got an email about Disagree's gig at Hard Rock Cafea and before I got my exam time table I was already telling myself to go for the gig no matter what. I was even more elated when Nigel, another big fan of Diagree is going to be around. That means that it would be twice the fun! But when the exam time table came out, on the 5th, 8th and 9th I have my final exams, which means that I can't make it for their gig on the 6th. I was devastated and I had to reluctantly tell Nigel that I couldn't make it. *sob*

Then, just a few days before my first paper on the 5th, Nige msged me on msn and asked me to go again, I'd say he was quite good in persuading me. Which resulted in me promising him to go for the gig. Hohoho. So prior to their performance, I was looping their album and singing to it like I'm a rock star or the female vocalist for Disagree. ;)

On that day, as we walked towards Hard CockRock Cafe, my heart was already pounding and frankly speaking I was quite nervous to be in a gig which only features a band. Not to mention quite nervous as to what Disagree is going to deliver on that day and simply just excited about the gig. Anyways, we arrived a lil late
, Disagree probably played 2 songs already. Initially I cant help but to feel sien about it but the more I listen to them play, the more charged up I feel.

After reading what they told
The Star and to actually see them perform live on stage, they really did deliver what they've promised the fans. Songs from Homemade Jam to At The End Of The Day were played with much spirits and energy. After me and Nige witnessed they played a song, I am quite sure that the both of us were really glad that we were there. For me, this sure beats caging myself in my room studying for exams.

Then as I was checking out the crowd, I saw Jason Lo, yes Mr. Evening News aka Latte @ 8 host, Fatboys Records' kahuna, the guy who brings you Rock The Worlds, and so much more lah. He was standing near the PA and I could spot a few familiar faces from the music scene. I was delighted to see him and instantly turned into an OCD dingbat. I so damn wish that I have a freaking digicam with me now. Or at least a phone with camera or some sort. machowhai. I.just.cant.get.enough.of.him.he.is.so.the.hot.hua.hua.hua.

Anyway, I also bumped into a bunch of friends that I met through a friend during Rock The World 4 & 5. Joy! They came all the way from Uniten just to see Disagree. I suppose they came quite early as they managed to get a row of seats on the side just right next to the stage. I went up to say hi to them and man they were really a bunch of gungho gig-goers and I admire them for their spirits.

I was probably too short or the stage is n
ot high enough cuz I have to occasionally tilt my feet to see Hamka the drummer whos seated with big ass headphones stuck to his ears. I had the tendency to kick the overzealous chest baring fengtau ah beng looking idiots in front of me. Then I heard, "Who's into U2?" and then perked up. They played a cover, Vertigo by U2 and I think everyone enjoyed it.

Half way through, Disagree went off stage to take a break so I went over to the counter to get our free drinks. And then came Aaron, the phat mat salleh looking malay guy who MC-ed RTW3 & 4 took over the stage for some Q&A session with goodies to give away. That guy is hilarious I tell you. The break probably lasted for slightly more than 20 minutes and then Disagree came back on stage and performed the second half of the show.

They definitely came back with a thrust of power surge for all the fans there as they play Suicide Note, all the fans started to sing along or rather screamed with delight. I know I did the latter. Heh. It was awesome to see people singing to it, knowing that they like the same song as you and they're able to sing to the lyrics as well. Then the band mellowed down followed by Zahid, the vocalist officially introduced his bandmates to the fans. Aziz, the bassist. Hamka, the drummer. Ashroff, the guitarist. I thought Zahid was nice and put up a good showmanship.

True enough, the band gave the fans special briefings of a few songs from the upcoming new album. Well, not really briefings but they did play the entire song. One was instrumental and another one was not bad. I sure hope they keep their rockish intrumental music and obscure lyrics a balance, some might say, grunge lah. I just *love love love* the instrumental slot towards the last quarter of Pooch. I was practically taken to the moon and back. It lasted for a good one minute. Its my favourite, all time favourite I must say. Try listening to it when you are driving or while you're crusing along the beach then you'd know what I mean. Just awesome.

Another instrumental piece that I like is a bonus hidden track without a name to it. As the show was coming to an end, they announced that they're going to play the last song and they played GC. Zahid just has this amazing guitar skills and he definitely blew me away with it! The intensity was sky high, the crowd cheered and cheered even after the last song. Our encores was not intense enough to generate another song from them but instead they were ushered off to personally meet the fans and give the fans autographs.

I was lucky enough as this is the second time I'm getting their john handcocks. I brought out my notebook as well as the little cut out page on ROTTW to let them sign. I then bought myself a Disagree's so called limited edition tshirt for a price of 30bucks. That was my last 30 bucks anyway. Hahah am a proud owner of it though.

In retrospect, from all the performances that I've seen from them, this is the best and the most intensified performance. They sound so much better live than in the album. Especially Zahid's voice, as some said that he sounded like Eddie Vedder. Listen to them live then you wont be having the same thinking anymore. As I was standing among the fans, elated, it made me think that I am glad that I was there to witness this awesome performance. I enjoyed myself so much and I had a great time.

The only thing that I wanna complain is probably the empty promises that they've promised us prior to the purchase of pre-sale tickets. One ticket, free one car sticker but Nige and me bought two tix so we're suppose to get a free tshirt. donch have one. car sticka pun donch have. tipu orang. all habih. tiu. me go WTF...

But it's okay, I had a great experience that's gonna last me for a long long time.

[soundbites]
Disagree - Please

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Millions of peaches. Peaches for free.