Bon Odori - Solace To The Souls
The Feast of Lanterns, better known as the 'Bon' or 'Urabon' festival is a traditional Japanese Buddhist celebration dedicated to the spirits of ancestors and deceased loved ones.
Participants take part in Wa-odori (circle dance) and will perform on a yagura (platform) and the public can take part in it while circling the yagura. You can find people dressed in traditional Japanese kimonos, hopi coats (short coat styled like a kimono top) or yukata (cotton kimonos) and sometimes carrying fans, castanets or cotton towels.
It was drizzling the whole day and very cloudy throughout the whole festival. The ground of Esplanade was very muddy because of the rain. Therefore, there are people who just take off their shoes and sandals and walk on the mud. Aiks.
There were food stalls around the spacious field. You have to purchase the coupons before you can buy any of the food there. All the money raised will be donated to the Mount Mariam Hospital in Penang.
Every year during this festival, the most awaited activity is the fireworks. I didnt manage to catch it though, I was at mamak by the time there were fireworks.
With the carnival-like atmosphere, there's also a wide selection of stalls offering games, handicrafts and food ranging from Japanese delicacies to hawker fair. All and all, it was an evening to remember for all ages.
Since I dont have a digicam of my own and even if I do have one with me, it wouldnt make any difference cuz it was dark by then and lights are all lid up to brighten up the stage and the whole venue.
But fret not, since Im the oh-so-nice Likki, I stole this picture somewhere for your viewing pleasure. Okay I just committed a cyber crime. Sue me! :D
The famous collectible item (see those big colorful balls? oh they have a smaller version of it though, filled with a lil bit of water) of the festival and some kids in the Japanese traditional kimonos and sorts.
Japanese Traditional Drummers playing the taikos.
The Feast of Lanterns, better known as the 'Bon' or 'Urabon' festival is a traditional Japanese Buddhist celebration dedicated to the spirits of ancestors and deceased loved ones.
Participants take part in Wa-odori (circle dance) and will perform on a yagura (platform) and the public can take part in it while circling the yagura. You can find people dressed in traditional Japanese kimonos, hopi coats (short coat styled like a kimono top) or yukata (cotton kimonos) and sometimes carrying fans, castanets or cotton towels.
It was drizzling the whole day and very cloudy throughout the whole festival. The ground of Esplanade was very muddy because of the rain. Therefore, there are people who just take off their shoes and sandals and walk on the mud. Aiks.
There were food stalls around the spacious field. You have to purchase the coupons before you can buy any of the food there. All the money raised will be donated to the Mount Mariam Hospital in Penang.
Every year during this festival, the most awaited activity is the fireworks. I didnt manage to catch it though, I was at mamak by the time there were fireworks.
With the carnival-like atmosphere, there's also a wide selection of stalls offering games, handicrafts and food ranging from Japanese delicacies to hawker fair. All and all, it was an evening to remember for all ages.
Since I dont have a digicam of my own and even if I do have one with me, it wouldnt make any difference cuz it was dark by then and lights are all lid up to brighten up the stage and the whole venue.
But fret not, since Im the oh-so-nice Likki, I stole this picture somewhere for your viewing pleasure. Okay I just committed a cyber crime. Sue me! :D
The famous collectible item (see those big colorful balls? oh they have a smaller version of it though, filled with a lil bit of water) of the festival and some kids in the Japanese traditional kimonos and sorts.
Japanese Traditional Drummers playing the taikos.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home